Saturday, June 20, 2009

PALMYRA--THE CRADLE OF THE RESTORATION

Palmyra New York.
This is on my Top 10 list of favorite places in the world! I love the feeling I have here when I think of great things that happened down these roads, in these homes, on these hillsides, in these groves. As we drove in, I felt like a kid about to see Disneyland. Did I say I love this place? I couldn't wait to show Denny the Hill Cumorah. As a family, we spent the greater part of two summers as cast members in the Pageant. Jonathan and Steven were in the Work Crew. It is OUR Hill Cumorah!



This view is from the top looking into the bowl where in 3 weeks there will be a stage and 10,000 chairs and a truckload of energy.


View from the bowl looking at the four-tier stage (which isn't set up yet!).
This is the monument on top of the hill depicting Moroni inviting the world to read the words of the Lord in the Book of Mormon.


As cast members, this open-air shelter became our home by day. We ate here, sang the Song of Cumorah here, recited the Standard of Truth here, and loved every minute!

Next to the hill is a beautiful Visitors Center.



Inside is the Christus. We are facing a spectacular wall of windows overlooking the countryside of Palmyra.



The Palmyra Temple is 2 miles from the Hill Cumorah. It is just like the Spokane Temple, only really, really, really muggy!



The Smith Family home near the Sacred Grove. It has been redone since our last visit to look exactly like it was when Alvin built it for the family in 1823.



In this room upstairs, Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith and told him about the Book of Mormon which would change the world. I love this room!


This is a view across the Smith farm into the Sacred Grove.


This is the Sacred Grove. I took this picture because this tree is old enough to have witnessed the miracle that happened here.


The Sacred Grove is much larger than I remember. Denny and I felt like we were the only ones there. You could sit and bask in the reverent spirit there and not see or hear anyone. We spent an hour there and could have spent all day.


On to the Grandin Printing Store where the first 2,000 Books of Mormon were published.


Next stop, the Peter Whitmer farm where the Church was organized on April 6, 1830. It was out of our way by 30 miles but we were so glad we went.
The whole day we spent in Palmyra. It was a day I will never forget because I could see Denny become excited over seeing places he's heard so much about. It was his first trip, my fourth.


2 comments:

  1. Those are great pictures of Cumorah. Thanks Mom. Those bring back so many great and powerful memories. I need to go back too. What a place! LOve, JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to spend a day! Denny is one ahead of me--would love to be there someday. I've been at Carol's since Wednesday--they were in Austin TX, then Williamsburg VA (Adam baptized a lady from their shoot in N. Carolina). They get home tomorrow night--Carol leaves for camp Mon. Morning. Fun. Love reading about your adventures. Love ya, Janet

    ReplyDelete